Monday, January 3, 2011

ReDiscovery


This photograph was taken in Scotland about 3 weeks before 9/11. I went to Scotland with a friend whose husband was in port there with the Navy. We had a great time there. When I got back home and into the darkroom, and I saw the negative, I just had to print it right away! The photograph struck awe in me! I just looked at it and was captivated by it. It was drawing me in. I personally got a spiritual feeling from this photo.
When I started my business I wanted this photograph to be the first thing people see when they walked by my booth. I matted and framed it in a 16x20 format so it would stand out even more.
Since my first art show in 2006. My Keyhole Window has attracted the attention of many people and is still my #1 selling photograph. I have had the great pleasure of seeing people's reaction when they see the photo. I use this photo as my logo, because when people see it they automatically remember me.
In my last blog post I was trying to figure out my niche. For years I have photographed what ever catches my eye, but it didn't seem to be enough. So after reviewing I have recognized that Black & White and Hand Coloring is what captures me the most. I have also wanted to learn to do better landscapes and seascapes. With that said, 2011 will be the year I master Black & White, Hand Coloring, Landscapes and Seascapes Photography.
This week I will start sending out show applications. I'm excited about that, the only thing is waiting for the "your in" response, which you usually don't hear until March or April, sometimes not until May. That is why you have lots of projects during the winter to keep you preoccupied.

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing photo and I can see why it's your #1 seller. I can understand the frustration of trying to find your niche. I would love to follow in your footsteps some day but I haven't even reached the point of printing anything or entering a contest. However one of my photos was used as a CD cover and another in a magazine article. I realize that I have a LOT to learn about photography and marketing so I'm glad that people like you are around to learn from.

    All the best in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James, You know taking the photos is the easy part for the most part, but the business side in my opinion is TOUGHER! I still have so much to learn, but since I have been tweeting I have learned alot more.

    ReplyDelete