Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Dragons of the Insect World

Dragonflies are very interesting insects.  They are a challenge to photograph especially the very large ones, which I have yet to get.  The Autumn Meadowhawk are quite easy to photograph, because there are so many and sit still long enough to get a photograph.

Autumn Meadowhawk


This Four-Spotted Skimmer are easier to photograph in the morning when they haven't had a chance to warm up yet.  I have also nicknamed this photo "Darwin", because it reminds me of Charles Darwin and the photos he had.
Four-Spotted Skimmer



Yet another Skimmer this one is a "Twelve-Spotted".  They too are easiest when photographed in the morning.  They look very similar to the "Eight-Spotted" (as was pointed out to me) and could also be mistaken for the "Common Whitetail".

Twelve-Spotted Skimmer


I want to thank the folks at BugGuide.net.  I go to this sight to ID all my bugs.  I have to say sometimes it gets dare right buggie!  Sorry, had to do it.

On another note.  The first half of my show season is over and I can now get back to business.  Office business that is.  I was really starting to wonder if this was going to be a good season.  Since last year was really bad, but I will say the first few shows wasn't looking so good either, but my August shows proved to be way better!  My faith has been restored!  I still have about 4 or 5 shows left to do this year.  I am very pleased that my "Photo Art" is doing so well (which includes textures and hand coloring and hopefully (next year) some HDR).  I think I have found my niche(s) in my photography.  As I develop my niches more, you will see more changes in my photography, my presentation and so much more.  I am excited about next year.  I expect to be doing many more shows and my booth display will be getting a facelift.

As for the cookie business, well not so good.  I added another farmers market this year, and that should have brought my sales way up, but instead I am just breaking even.  Which isn't good.  I also found myself spending so much more time (4 days) being devoted to The BlackHorse Cookie Company and so little time (1 maybe 2 days to prepare for the next show which would be the next weekend) for Cindi Ressler Photography.  My cookies are becoming more of a job and not a passion.  It isn't much fun anymore either.  So after careful thought and doing the pros and cons of it all The BlackHorse Cookie Company will ceased to exist as of December 31,2011.  

It's a little sad, but at the same time I will be able to devote all of my time promoting and selling my photography.  My true "Passion"!

You know as I writing this I am actually crying, because I put everything I have into The BlackHorse Cookie Company and to see it fail is very hard.  But I must move on and I can honestly say I tried!

Have a great weekend everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. These are some very cool shots. You did a great job on the texture in that 2nd shot.

    ReplyDelete