Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring Cleaning

Today was the first chance I've had to get out and start cleaning the gardens. I was weeding out the dandelions, which unless you can get the entire tap root it will be back soon. I was cleaning around my snake garden and getting it ready for some planting and seeing what is coming back. I saw the beginnings of my sea holly, pink bee balm, yarrow, thyme, creeping phlox as well as lots of earthworms and some cut worms which were disposed of (the cutworms). I also started on my garden by my back porch which is now named the bee balm garden. The bee balm has taken over half the garden space about 3 feet wide, by about 4-5 feet long. Some people don't like the bee balm because it can be invasive, but it love it because it attracts the hummingbirds and butterflies. I checked the large garden and saw my hollyhocks, iris, lady's mantle, valerian which kinda looks like queen anne's lace, but grows much taller and is very fragrant and is an herb and attracts butterflies, I also noticed phlox and I do grow wild queen anne's lace too. I checked out my walking stick tree and it's looking fabulous and the branches are all curly like. Generally everything is looking good and survived a Maine winter. In a couple more weeks if the good weather continues I'll be done with the clean up and see more new growth.
This is one of the most exciting times of the year for me as a gardener, because if the plants come back then I know I have done well as a gardener and I am encouraged to plant more.
So with that said I am off to do more gardening have fun getting dirty.
Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment