Friday, May 20, 2011

Flower Power Friday! This week is the Bee Balm

This week's flower is the Bee Balm also known as Bergamot.  I have been growing this plant for a few years.  I really enjoy having it in my gardens.  It is an invasive plant if not controlled.  The Bee Balm does well in sunny locations and is a hardy plant to grow here in Maine.  It grows between 24 to 36 inches tall and blooms July through August.  I have the red and bright pink varieties, but it also comes in white and other variations of pinks.





 

























It is a favorite flower for butterflies, bees and hummingbirds.

The Bee Balm is an herb which can be use as an aromatic or used for cosmetics, culinary, decorative and medicinal purposes.  You can use the dried leaves and flower for potpourris.  The leaves are used for tea and the flowers for salad or with fruit.



On another note, I have started the Newport Farmers Market and the Rockland Farmers Market this past week and both markets I did well despite the rainy weather.  I also spent a morning photographing with a new friend.  Despite the icky weather it was great fun!  Thanks Barbara!  Hopefully we will have some sunshine soon.  It has been a bit dreary around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment