Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Visiting Nuthatch


The White-Breasted Nuthatch has been a frequent visitor at the feeder.  He or she would fly in get a sunflower seed and take off again.  Rarely stays around very long.  Fun little bird to watch.


The Tree Swallows have been around and have decided to use both of the birdhouses.  Which doesn't seem quite fair, but what to do.  I did notice the Eastern Bluebird was back and was chased away by the Tree Swallows, so I guess there is not chance of the Eastern Bluebird moving into the other birdhouse.  Apparently from what I have read about the Tree Swallaws is that they are very territorial and will chase off other Swallows and birds.  I guess I put the houses to close together.  Live and learn.  I guess I will have to make some changes for next year.  I have been able to get quite close to the Swallows.  So when the rain decides to end I will be spending some time out there photographing them.

Other frequent visitors are the Mourning Doves.  Love having these birds around!  Their cooing is so calming to me.


The Rose-Breasted Grosbeak both male and females have been back to the feeder.  It was nice to see them back.

The Ruby Throated Hummingbirds are still around and eating up the sugar water we made for them.  I have seen 1 male and 3 females and most of the time they don't share the feeder.  Not really sure why.
The Cowbird who have been hanging around the Tree Swallow birdhouses.  I'm wondering if they will lay some eggs in their nest for the Swallows to raise.  That could be interesting!  
 The usual Sparrows and Goldfinches have been around as well as a pair of Cat birds.
I will try to get some new photos in next week.



2 comments:

  1. Love these bird images Cindi! The compositions are great, but I also love your treatments. Look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dianne, I appreicate it! I really am having a great time using these treatments especially on the birds.

    ReplyDelete